CROSSNOE DECLARES 2019 OSCR DIDN'T HAPPEN
It never happened.
That's what Holley EFI Outlaw Street Car Reunion promoter Tyler Crossnoe declared Monday evening in a Facebook post responding to a barrage of criticism related mainly to Jamie Hancock's 3.59 pass, the quickest run ever for a nitrous-injected doorslammer on drag radials.
"I’m going on the record as of right now, as event owner and director, and negating ALL runs from the 2019 edition of the Outlaw Street Car Reunion," Crossnoe said. "I know 95% of those runs were legit. But the other 5% will continue to raise question marks and those question marks will continue to kill the reputation of our event."
Crossnoe said the outcome of the event which was canceled due to weather has brought forth a myriad of issues.
"Over the past 24 hours, I have received phone calls and messages receiving death threats, wishes of me dying in my sleep, hopes that I will have to file bankruptcy over the event this past weekend due to rain, and now even threats of being sued since this post began along with plenty more things that make me absolutely sick," Crossnoe explained. "I’m deeply saddened that something that I tried to do nice for people and had some issues has come to this."
A source close to the situation said even the Midwest Pro Modified Association, which ran their series in conjunction with the event, has withdrawn their characterization of a record-setting event as well.
Crossnoe said he did everything in his power from the day he arrived at Beech Bend International Raceway to ensure every aspect of the track was in good working order, including the timing system.
"I checked the timing system when I arrived," Crossnoe said. "Everything appeared in working condition, and the settings in the computer were correct. There is in no way possible that I would ever alter a system to create false information.
"This makes me sicker than every one of you combined. Yes, there were some odd runs, but we did the best we could with the situations we were put in. No one person is perfect. No timing system is perfect. No race car is perfect."
One of the most significant critics of the so-called record-setting performances has been Donald Long, the creator of the Radial vs. The World division. Long believes characterizing these runs as historical, or record-setting hurts drag racing. He's even gone as far as stating publicly he's willing to go to court over it.
"You [media] f'ed up the 3.99 quest at Huntsville when you drug the s*** out there, and it took exhaust pipes, and it took two to three years for these idiots to go back," Long said in a Facebook live presentation. "You're not doing it again.
"Here's the deal. Jay Cox and I talked today, if I don't see some kind of f'ing statement by Friday, Me and Jay Cox are gonna file a federal lawsuit against the track, the promoters and we are going to take it to court and let them decide. You're not f'ing up drag racing on our watch, anymore. Never again. Either get your s*** together, make a press release and tell that there were problems with the [timing system] or I will present 20 times slips in court, and we can do it then."
In the end, Crossnoe readily admits there were issues.
"There are plenty of runs that were legitimate, but there were also a number of question marks that we all wondered about, even in house," Crossnoe said. "There are a number of question marks in certain class rule books that do not outline maximum overhang, maximum stagger, and minimum ride heights.
"By having gray areas like this, it opens the legality of runs book to an even deeper chapter. Going forward, for any event that I’m personally involved with, rulebooks will be more detailed than ever to eliminate all gray areas like this."
Crossnoe summed up the event.
"End of the story, the 2019 Outlaw Street Car Reunion by the numbers never happened."