MEYER, LOMBARDO WIN IN HEARTLAND
Megan Meyer and John Lombardo Jr. raced to victory at the NHRA Central Region Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series at Heartland Park Topeka Saturday night.
Second generation Meyer of Spring Hill, Kan., faced off with veteran racer and former NHRA Divisional Champion Marty Thacker with Thacker taking the early lead but Meyer had the power from crew chief and father Randy to run him down. Meyer posted low elapsed time of the event at 5.303 seconds with a speed of 274.66 to Thacker’s 5.424, at 265.90.
Meyer qualified third in the 8-car field and knocked out David Brounkowski and No. 2 qualifier Mike Edstrom in rounds one and two. Thacker defeated No. 1 qualifier Rachel Meyer (Megan’s sister) in the opening round, then beat Robin Samsel on a hole-shot in round two to reach the final.
Reigning NHRA Lucas Oil Central Region champion Lombardo out ran the field with a 5.511, 267.43 mph lap in the final over Kris Hool. Hool, Evansville, Wyo., qualified No. 2 behind Lombardo, Brea, Calif., with Lombardo taking home the win and the hardware.
Lombardo took out former Division Champion Kirk Williams in the semis with low E.T. of the event at 5.500, 270.05. Hool out ran Chris Foster and Jeff Jones in rounds one and two.
The rest of the classes in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series wrap up their doubleheader weekend today at Heartland Park. Chad Voges took the Comp Eliminator trophy in the opening half of the doubleheader on Friday and is qualified No. 1 for the second event as he looks to double up this weekend.
The following are Top Alcohol Dragster and Funny Car results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, West Central Division event at Heartland Park Topeka:
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER:
4) Robin Samsel, Marion, Ind., 5.358, 266.53 def. 5) James Stevens, Gothenburg, Neb., 5.407, 267.80
3) Megan Meyer, Olathe, Kan., 5.370, 273.66 def. 6) David Brounkowski, Cypress, Texas, 18.085, 62.08
2) Mike Edstrom, Maple Grove, Minn., 5.353, 252.80 def. 7) Jared Dreher, Clinton, Ind., 5.604, 254.66
8) Marty Thacker, Robinson, Ill., 5.418, 267.75 def. 1) Rachel Meyer, Spring Hill, Kan., 5.349, 274.55
Thacker, 5.413, 264.70 def. Samsel, 5.372, 263.00
M. Meyer, 5.312, 276.29 def. Edstrom, 5.304, 263.92
M. Meyer, 5.303, 274.66 def. Thacker, 5.424, 265.90
TOP ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR:
1) John Lombardo Jr., Brea, Calif., '16 Camaro, 5.525, 269.29 was unopposed
2) Kris Hool, Evansville, Wyo., '16 Camaro, 5.626, 259.31 def. 7) Chris Foster, Davenport, Iowa, '15 Mustang, 6.232, 187.23
5) Kirk Williams, Glenwood, Iowa, '04 Firebird, 5.668, 256.65 def. 4) Scott McVey, Ile Des Chenes, Manit., '06 Monte Carlo, 5.666, 261.37
6) Jeff Jones, Weatherford, Texas, '16 Camaro, 5.597, 262.74 def. 3) Bill Bernard, Littleton, Colo., '09 Mustang, 5.787, 253.04
Lombardo Jr., 5.500, 270.05 def. Williams, 5.722, 238.81
Hool, 5.558, 261.72 def. Jones, 5.583, 259.91
Lombardo Jr., 5.511, 267.43 def. Hool, 5.640, 260.66.